This cake is absolutely delicious. Everyone raved about it at The Mantra Room programs. It is a fruitcake but without raisins and sultanas which a lot of people aren’t fussed on. It is moist and fruity with the nuts giving it a nice crunch. You can store this cake for a month in an air tight container. Actually I feel that it gets better with age.
- 1 cup whole, pitted dates
- 1 cup dried figs, halved
- 1 cup of whole, dried apricots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup glazed orange peel
- 1 cup glazed red cherries
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- 1 cup almonds (blanched gives a more Christmas vibe)
- 3 cups self raising flour (works just as well with gluten free flour)
- Orange marmalade for garnish, you could use apricot jam if you prefer
Soak dried fruit in orange juice overnight.
Add nuts, combine then add flour and mix well.
Bake in oven at 150 degrees Celsius, fan-forced, or 170 degrees
Celsius in a normal oven for 1 hour or until knife comes out clean.
Decorate with a layer of orange marmalade or apricot jam, nuts, and dried fruit.