A cozy, nourishing Winter warmer!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-40 minutes
1/4 cup ghee or olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 tablespoon grated ginger
10 x curry leaves
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 teaspoon balancing spice blend / curry spice blend
2 cups green lentils
500gm sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 x 700ml jar passata
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons massel stock powder
1/2 bunch washed and chopped coriander, juice of 2 limes
- Wash and soak lentils.
- Put some rice on to cook if you are eating your dal with it.
- Chop your onion, garlic and sweet potatoes.
- Heat a medium to large sized saucepan, add oil or ghee and fry off mustard seeds until they start to pop. Add onion, garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Fry on a medium to low heat for a few minutes.
- Strain and rinse lentils, then add to the pot.
- Stir in passata, water, spice blend, and sweet potatoes.
- If using an electric pressure cooker, cook on high pressure for 16 minutes. For stove top, cook on a gentle simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, monitor water levels and add a little water if it is looking too dry. This could take 25-35 minutes.
- To finish, stir through 3 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons stock powder.
- Top with fresh lime, yoghurt and coriander leaves, serve with steamed rice if you wish.
@prasadam_eats on Instagram