For those who aren’t that keen on eggs or those who would like a tasty tofu dish here is an amazing quiche-like recipe that isn’t only tasty, but packed with goodness.
Makes: 8 servings
For the crust:
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup melted butter
1/3 cup cheddar or parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp water
For the filling:
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
1 onion, diced or ½ tsp hing
1 cup cauliflower cut into flowerets
1 carrot, grated
1 cup very firmly packed spinach or chard leaves, stems removed, chopped
2 cups crumbled tofu
2 tablespoons tahini
½ cup sour cream or milk
1 cup grated cheese
½ tsp turmeric
Black pepper and salt to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Lightly grease a pie plate, or line with parchment paper.
Prepare the Crust
- Mix together the flour, cheese and melted butter. Add a little water to make a soft dough. Pat the mixture into the bottom and sides of a pan and bake at 200ºC for 8 – 10 minutes.
Prepare the filling:
- Sauté onions for about 5 minutes, or if just using hing lightly brown it
- Add cauliflower and sauté for another 5 minutes, add the spinach and sauté until it is wilted, then add the grated carrot, sauté a bit longer then cover and turn off the heat.
- In a food processor or blender, mix the tofu, tahini and sour cream until very smooth.
- Add the salt and pepper, cheese and turmeric and pour the mixture over the vegetables in the pan and stir to combine well.
- Pour into the crust in the pie pan, and smooth the top. If desired, sprinkle with a little paprika.
Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes at 180ºC, until the top is light golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes to set before serving.
May be eaten hot, at room temperature, or cold.
Makes 8 servings