This amazing carrot cake is in the Gold Coast Cook Book. It is one of the most moist and delicious carrot cakes you will ever enjoy!
- 3 cups grated carro
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt (can use coconut yoghurt for vegan option)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk (any plant based for vegans)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon or orange rind
- 2 tablespoon orange or lemon juice
Lemon Frosting for Vegans:
- 2 tbsp. soft vegan butter, nuttelex is a good vegan option
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, approximately
In one bowl, sift the flour and add the carrot, salt, walnut and cinnamon. In another bowl mix the sugar, oil, yoghurt and baking soda dissolved in milk. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry making sure not to over mix. Pour cake mis into a greased cake pan and bake for 40 minutes at 180degrees celsius.
To make the cream cheese icing, mix all the ingredients together and spread over cooled cake.
To make the lemon frosting, process butter and sugar with vanilla with electric mixer. Drizzle in lemon juice, checking consistency, until creamy and spreadable. Spread over top of cooled Cake.