This technique combines a hand position with restful breathing. It will help you to relax completely and may be very beneficial for calming your emotions. You may also like to practice this mudra while meditating on the heart mantra “Aum Namo Bhagavate Vasudeva”
- Sit or lie comfortably. Your body should be in a symmetrical position, so if you are sitting have your knees at the same level and the shoulders and head aligned with the pelvis.
- Rest the back of the hands on the thighs.
- Close your eyes and breathe slowly and deeply for 12 or more breaths until you feel relaxed and ready.
- Now place your first finger at the base of the thumb, and touch the tip of the ring and middle finger to the tip of the thumb, the little finger is relaxed.
- Stay focused on the sensations at the fingertips as you continue breathing with eyes closed.
- You may also feel your attention being drawn to your heart. If not, it doesn’t matter.
- Keep breathing and focusing like this for 5 minutes or more if you have time.
- To finish release the mudra and stretch your arms and hands above your head and stretch down into your toes.
- Bring a smile to your face and continue with your day.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training