This is an egg-less version of the traditional Chinese egg foo yung. It substitutes eggs for mashed tofu which makes it far healthier for your cholesterol levels and is light and easy to digest. These simple, quick and easy patties are great for the whole family and are sure to be added to the kids’ favourites. They are great for picnics, lunch boxes a light lunch with salad or for dinner served with stir-fried vegetables.
In a wok, sauté over low heat for about 5 minutes:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup snow peas, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 green onions cut into 2 cm pieces
When vegetables are crisp-tender, mix in:
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
Remove from heat and set aside:
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Blend or process until smooth and creamy:
- 1 large block of firm tofu less ½ cup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Pour this into a bowl and mix in:
- ½ cup firm tofu, mashed
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Mix vegetables and tofu mixture together well.
On an oiled baking tray, make six to eight large rounds, about 1 cm thick using about ½ cup of the mixture for each round. Leave about 2 cm space between the rounds.
Bake for 30 minutes, flip over and bake 15 minutes more.
Serve hot over rice or noodles with the following Mushroom Gravy:
Mix together in a saucepan:
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or corn flour)
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, diced small
Cook over low heat, stirring until thickened.