This simple breathing practice has been clinically proven to lower blood pressure. It also calms the mind and nervous system. It is renowned for cooling the body and is aid to be very effective in hyperacidity and gastric ulcers.
Let’s try it
- Sit comfortably with your back straight.
- Close your eyes and roll the tongue to form a long tube. Your lips will be slightly apart.
- Inhale through the rolled tongue
- Close your mouth and slowly exhale through the nostrils
- Repeat the procedure for 4 or more rounds
For the small percentage of people who cannot roll their tongue shape your lips as if you were sucking on a straw and inhale through the tube of the lips.
Seetkari – Hissing Breathing
This breath has the same effects as Sitali but also helps to keep the gums healthy.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes and relax.
- Hold your teeth together and part your lips exposing your teeth, keep your tongue flat.
- Inhale through your teeth taking the breath right down to the bottom of your lungs
- Close your mouth and exhale through your nose.
- The inward breath will produce a gently hissing sound, slow your breath down to a comfortable relaxed pace and practice 10 – 15 breaths or longer if you like.