Strengthens the buttocks and legs
- Strengthens and stretches the ankles
- Strengthens the thighs, calves and back
- Stimulates the vital organs, including the heart
- Works on lifting the inner arches of the feet
- From Mountain pose, inhale raise your arms above your head and relax your shoulders down away from your ears.
- Exhale; bend your knees to come into a half squat, leaning forwards slightly to maintain your balance. Press evenly into the balls of your feet and heels; lift through your inner arches.
- Keep your heart center lifted and your tailbone lengthening down towards the floor. Hold for 5-15 breaths.
- To come out of the pose: press down into your heels and straighten your legs; lower your arms to come back to Mountain pose.
Modifications & Variations
– This pose can be performed with a drink bottle or block squeezed between the knees to help activate your inner thighs.
– To make the pose more challenging, sink your hips lower into the squat. Do not allow your buttocks to drop lower than the knees.
– If you cannot take your arms above your head, raise them to shoulder height in front of your body.