This is a great exercise to do just before you start relaxing. It’s also great to do when you want to wake up out of a deep relaxation and get the circulation moving again. There are many acupressure points in the sacral area which we can access with this exercise. These points are specific to relaxing the nervous system. As we circle around on the back of the pelvis we are also releasing tension from the lower back and strengthening and massaging the abdomen.
Let’s Try It
- Lie on your back and fold your knees up towards your abdomen.
- Steady yourself with your arms beside you on the floor.
- Make small with your knees as if you are painting circles on the ceiling.
- Gradually make the circles larger to access a broader area of the pelvis.
- When you are ready, change direction and repeat the same amount.
- Some people like to keep their hands on their knees as they circle them.
- If you find the back is uncomfortable try sitting on your hands with the palms down.
- If your abs are strong you can straighten your legs out parallel to the floor as they circle.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training