Benefits: Strengthens and stretches the legs, knees & ankles. Opens the groin, spine, chest, lungs & shoulders. Massages abdominal organs, improves digestion and aids elimination. Increases stamina & improves balance.
Cautions: High or low blood pressure, Headache, neck or spinal problems.
|Fig. 1||Fig. 2||Fig. 3|
- From a standing lunge with your right foot forward bring your hands to prayer position at the chest and on the exhale lean forward with a straight back, the back heel may lift from the floor. Keep the spine long, and on your next exhale twist to the right. (fig.1)
- If you want to go further take the left elbow to the outside of the right knee (fig. 2)
- As with all twists lengthen and soften the belly, extend the spine with each inhalation, and increase the twist as you exhale.
- Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Release and repeat on the other side.
- For beginners, to improve balance, the back heal can be supported against a wall.
- If you have any neck problems, don’t turn your head to look at the top arm, instead, look straight ahead with both sides of the neck lengthened evenly, or look down at the floor
- From Step 3 rotate the right shoulder back and bring the right arm behind you, reach the left arm under the thigh and clasp the right hand. (fig.3)