Lion Pose invokes a feeling of light-hearted playfulness. This silly looking pose is also said to strengthen the voice, reduce wrinkles of the face and neck, benefit the thyroid gland and reduce stress.
Let’s try it
- Begin in a kneeling position and sit back on your heels.
- Bring your palms to your knees and sit up tall.
- Inhale slowly through the nose.
- Exhale through your mouth with a long and strong audible sigh as you lean forward with a straight back, spread your fingers wide, open your mouth as wide as you can and protrude your tongue down towards your chin. Open your eyes wide and look up.
- At the end of your outward breath close your mouth, relax you face, eyes and hands and sit back up for a long slow inward breath.
- Repeat up to 8 times and finish with 3 complete yoga breaths.
Modifications and Variations
- If you have knee issues try any seated position of your choice, just make sure you keep your spine long.
- Practice Lion Pose on all fours in table top position, moving into cow pose for every exhalation.
- Instead of an audible sigh roar loud and long like a lion.
- If you have high blood pressure or heart problems do Lion pose with a gentle but long unforced outward breath.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training