This exercise is great to do out in the fresh air first thing in the morning or it can be used as an energy recharge throughout the day. It not only charges us with big fresh lungfuls of oxygen but helps to release tension from the shoulders and chest and assist in strengthening our immune responses. The exercise lends itself to sitting as well as standing so can be performed while at your work desk when your concentration is waning and you need a good wakeup stretch.
Let’s try it
- Stand or sit in Mountain Pose with your hands at prayer at the chest.
- Bring your arms down beside you and Inhale as you bring your arms out to each side and up beside your head.
- Lean back slightly into a gentle back arch and bring your hands back into prayer again if you can.
- Exhale as you come upright and lower your hands to prayer at the chest.
- Inhale as you keep the hands up together and reach back up into the back arch.
(note: if your shoulders are tight keep your hands wide apart as you reach up high)
- Exhale as you come upright and return the arms out to the sides, down and back up to prayer at the chest again.
- Keep the breath smoothly flowing and repeat at least 5 times.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training