Flow yoga, also known as vinyasa yoga, is a dynamic and physically active form of yoga that involves flowing from one pose to the next, often with the breath. It can provide a number of benefits.
Flow yoga can:
- Improve physical strength and flexibility: Flow yoga involves a variety of poses that challenge our core, strengthen our joint stability and improve our flexibility.
- Increase balance and coordination: Flow yoga requires you to move your body in a coordinated way, which can help to improve your balance and coordination.
- Reduce stress: Flow yoga can be a mindful practice that can help to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Improve cardiovascular health: Regular cardio exercise is key to good heart health, Flow yoga is considered a moderate to high-intensity form of exercise, which can help to improve cardiovascular health.
- Improve breathing: Flow yoga often involves synchronized breathing techniques, which can help to improve respiratory function and oxygenation of the body.
- Increase focus and concentration: Flow yoga requires you to be present in the moment and focus on your breath and movements. This can help to improve focus and concentration.
- Improve body awareness: Flow yoga can help you to become more aware of how your body feels. You then can develop the ability to notice the changes in your body as your mood changes or when you are feeling stressed. This can then lead to mood regulation and stress reduction.
- Enhance immunity: Vinyasa yoga strengthens your immune system and keeps you healthy during cold and flu season. Its dynamic poses and movements activate the lymphatic system to eliminate toxins and increase infection-fighting white blood cells. Vinyasa also enhances circulation and lowers stress to further protect against illness.
- Boost the metabolism: Compared to the more static style of yoga asanas, the continuous flowing movement of yoga flows burns more calories and gives more of a boost to the metabolism. Regular practice has been shown to aid weight loss, decrease body fat, and enhance fitness. An hour of moderate Vinyasa yoga can burn between 400-600 calories.
- Boost our mood: The dynamic movements which characterise Flow Yoga help to deliver those feel-good endorphins. Flow yoga can deliver a quick surge of endorphins with a lasting effect.
It is because of all these reasons that flow yoga has become a very popular practice. At ASMY we feature a number of flow classes of varying levels.
Energy & Strength Flows are just like the name implies. A great body workout and a invigorating way to start the day.
Vinyasa Flows are creative and fun. As we flow with our breath from one pose to another we begin to feel the whole body starting to release tension and move with ease.
Slow Flow Sound Bath classes feature an easy slow 30-minute flow followed by relaxation and a delicious blend of meditation with crystal singing bowls.
Energy & Strength runs:
Monday – Friday 6am
Vinyasa Flow runs:
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 7:30am
Monday & Wednesday 5:15pm
Saturday 7am (Flow & Sadhana)
Slow Flow Sound Bath runs:
Tuesday & Thursday 7pm
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training