Ever heard how good beetroot is for you and wondered how to incorporate more of it into your meals? Beetroots are a good source of nutrients, fiber, and many plant compounds. Their health benefits include lowered blood pressure, improved heart health and enhanced exercise capacity,
Vibrant beetroot cashew pilaf rice is a spectacular dish that is pumping with the goodness of beetroot and pleasing to the taste buds at the same time.
- 1 cup grated beetroot
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (small) red onion
- 2 green chilies
- A few curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil or ghee
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews
- 2.5cm (1 inch) stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 pods Cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Leafy greens
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water on low heat.
- Cut the onions into thin slices, slit the green chilies and grate the beetroot.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom & bay leaf) and fry on medium heat for 30 secs.
- Add the onions, curry leaves & chili and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté until cooked (it no longer smells raw), then add the grated beetroot and sauté until it changes colour and softens.
- Add the salt, garam masala and cashews and mix well.
- Gently stir in the cooked rice and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Switch off the heat.
- Garnish with leafy greens and this tasty, healthy beetroot rice is ready to serve!
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training