Kev makes these all the time for the different meditation and kirtan programs ASMY holds around Brisbane. They are so delicious, they have become quite famous up here. We get asked for the recipe so much we decided to share it with you all.
1 can cannelli beans – rinsed and drained
1 can lentils – rinsed drained
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 medium zucchini – grated
2 medium carrots – grated
2 tblspn tomato paste
1 vegetarian stock cube
1 tspn veggie salt
1 tblspn curry powder
½ tspn garlic powder
5 sheets puff pastry – thawed
- Preheat oven to 200oC
- In a food processor blend the breadcrumbs, walnuts, salt, curry powder, garlic powder and stock cube
- Set aside in a large bowl
- In the food processor blend the lentils, cannelli beans, zuchinni, carrots and tomato paste until smooth
- Add this to the walnut and breadcrumb mixture and mix thoroughly
- Cut the pastry sheets in half and spread a generous amount of the mix along one edge.
- Roll over to secure the mix and cut into halves or smaller for party-size rolls
- Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 20 minutes until brown
- Serve warm with spicy Tomato Sauce
- This mix freezes well – but be sure to use it straight away upon defrosting as it tends to be a little soggy from the moisture from the zucchini.
- It also makes very nice patties to be pan-fried or barbequed, and makes a great substitute for felafel in wraps.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 can tomatoes
1 small onion – finely chopped
1 clove garlic – finely chopped
1 can cannelli beans – rinsed and drained and either thoroughly mashed or processed with a hand held food processor
1 tspn dried Italian Herbs
¼ tspn sugar
¼ tspn salt
¼ tspn smoked paprika
2 tblspns tomato paste – may need more
Freshly ground black pepper
Dash of vinegar
- Sauté the onion with the salt in olive oil until translucent – taking care not to brown them
- Add the herbs, smoked paprika and pepper, and fry for a couple more minutes until fragrant
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and bring to the boil
- Add the processed beans and as much tomato paste as necessary to bring the colour back to bright red.
- Taste, and add a dash of vinegar, and adjust salt, pepper and sugar as needed.
- Cool and serve with Kev’s Veggie Rolls.
- This mixture also freezes well and can be served with pasta or as a sauce for tacos and nachos.