This is a great recipe for a quick and easy mid week meal. Tasty, nourishing and simple.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 250g vegan mince (refrigerated section at supermarket)
- 700g tomato passata (or blend up a can of tomatoes)
- 3 cups vegan beef broth (3 teaspoons Massell beef-like stock powder mixed with 3 cups hot water to dissolve)
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs or you could use 2 tablespoons fresh (basil, parsley, oregano etc.)
- 1-2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce (make sure it’s vegan)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 175g wholemeal spaghetti
- Parmesan & cracked black pepper
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook onion until translucent, then add garlic and stir well.
Add vegan mince and cook, breaking it up as you go.
Add tomato passata, stock and remaining ingredients. Give it a good stir, then let it come up to the boil.
Add pasta, fanning it out around the pot. Leave for 30 seconds to start softening, then start pushing it in under the liquid. (I would use a wide shallow pan as it takes a while for the wholemeal spaghetti to soften. Would probably work ok for regular pasta, but wholemeal takes quite a lot longer to cook.
Once fully submerged, cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, and more towards the end. At about the 10 minute mark, lower the heat to medium otherwise the base might catch (but ensure it is still bubbling gently)
Take it off the stove once the pasta is JUST cooked, the tiniest bit firmer than you want, and when still saucy. Toss it for about 30 seconds or so – the sauce will reduce further, the pasta will finish cooking.
Serve immediately, garnish with parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.