This recipe is a tasty variation of traditional tabouli. In addition to the usual burghul, fresh parsley and tomato is a lovely combination of fresh asparagus, pecan nuts, almonds, pine nuts as well as a variety of fresh herbs. These additions have made this tabouli into a healthy, nutritious meal instead of just a side salad. It is lovely served with fresh crusty bread for a summer lunch or light dinner.
- 2 cups burghul
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 500g asparagus chopped coarsely
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers copped coarsely
- 500g cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup pecans toasted
- ½ cup almond kernels toasted
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Place burghul in medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and stand for 10 minutes.
Drain burghul very well.
Process garlic, basil and honey until basil is finely chopped.
Add olive oil and lemon juice and process until combined.
Toss all ingredients together.