- 1 large yellow onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups diced zucchini (from about 2 small)
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (800g) or diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, carrots and celery and saute about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in garlic, sweet potato, tomato paste and saute 2 minutes.
2. Add in vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, cayenne pepper, dry herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow soup to gently boil, covered for 20 minutes.
3. Add in capsicum, green beans and quinoa then cover and cook 10 – 15 minutes longer.
4. Add cannellini beans, parsley and lemon juice and cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
5. Serve warm garnished with fresh parsley and bread 🙂
Makes 8 servings
Recipe by Debora Galvin