Make 24 cookies
4 cups almond meal
1 1/2 cup unhulled tahini
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon sea salt or Celtic salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
crushed cacoa nibs, chopped pistachios or gluten free/vegan smarties (available from Health Food shops) – to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan-forced/convection). Line a rimmed cookie sheet/tray with baking paper.
- Place tahini, maple syrup, salt and vanilla in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan on medium heat. Heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly until smooth and blended. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add almond meal to the tahini maple mixture and mix until a rough dough forms.
- Roll 1-2 tablespoons in the palm of your hands into a ball. Place on the prepared tray and flatten slightly with your fingertips. Alternatively use an ice cream or cookie scoop to drop dollops of the dough on the prepared tray and flatten with your fingers.
- If decorating, press the toppings (nuts, seeds etc) on top of the cookie discs in the centre. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes. Switch off the oven and let the cookies brown slightly in the hot oven for another 5 minutes before removing.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in air tight containers at room temperature for up to a week.
By Débora Galvin