Delightful Apple Crumble Cake
Vegan and Gluten Free
Yields 8-10 slices
Ingredients for cake:
2 small apples, peeled and diced
1/4 cup coconut yogurt
1/3 cup of apple sauce
400g all purpose cake mix gluten free flour by the brand- Well&Good (found at health food shop or IGA)
1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
1 cup of nut milk (I use almond/coconut by So Good)
1 tsp of cinnamon powder
Apple Layer Ingredients:
2 small apples, peeled and sliced
Juice of 1 small lemon
3 Tbs of rapadura or coconut sugar
70g of vegan butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup of plain gluten free flour
1/3 cup rapadura sugar or date sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1. Preheat oven 170 degrees fan forced.
2. Line springform tin (20 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
3. Place the crumble topping ingredients into a food processor and pulse 3 times for just one second each time and transfer the crumble topping into a bowl.
4. For the apple layer, combine all ingredients into a bowl, stir until apples are coated and set aside.
5. In a glass bowl combine all the wet ingredients for the cake and stir. Add flour and cinnamon powder mixing thru until a cake batter is formed, do not over mix it. It’s a very wet mixture.
6. Place the cake batter into the baking tin, cover the batter with the apples and juices from the apple layer, then top it with the crumble topping. Then sprinkle with flaked almonds for decoration.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes
Serve warm with vegan ice cream or coconut yogurt 🙂
It tastes really good the next day as well or even after being in the fridge 🙂
Recipe by Debora Galvin