This is a delicious vegetarian version of Vietnamese rice wraps or fresh spring rolls. They are simple to prepare, low fat, and packed with fresh, healthy ingredients – a great way to get those wholesome veggies into the family. These wraps are really nice served with dipping sauce. Just mix together 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- 50 gm rice noodles – soaked for 10 minutes in hot water- then drained
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetarian stir -fry sauce.
- 150 gm firm tofu- cut into thin strips
- 1 large carrot – cut julienne
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 T Soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon ginger root – cut into very thin trips
- 1 Lebanese style cucumber – thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2-3 stalks of green onion- thinly sliced lengthways
- 10+ rice wraps
Mix the rice noodles, vinegar, and vegetarian stir fry sauce together. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
Add soy sauce and then sauté’ the tofu for a few minutes.
Add ginger root and carrot and sauté for a minute or so – making sure not to ‘overcook’ the carrots letting them become too soft. The carrots should retain a ‘crunchy-ness’.
Into a bowl lightly mix together the basil, cilantro, mint and the cucumber slices.
Soak the rice wraps in warm water, remove gently and shake any excess water off. The wraps should not be too dry or too soggy when removed.
Lay rice wraps (two at a time) on a flat surface.
Layer noodles, vegetables, salad, top with tofu mix and finish off with a few sprigs of coriander. This will make them look quite spectacular after they are wrapped.
Fold together like spring rolls, turning over the sides first to cover ingredients. Then roll up to enclose ingredients fully. This technique is also used for spring rolls.
Serve at room temperature with extra dipping sauce.
- Mushrooms sautéed with the tofu and added to the noodle mix is good.
- Peanuts or cashews added to the noodle mix.
- Toasted sesame seeds.
- Thin green bean slivers added to the tofu and carrots