Who loves Mexican food? Everyone! Mexican cuisine is a favourite throughout the entire world. It is hearty, tasty and there is a dish to suit everyone, from spicy to mild, heavy to light. This tortilla lime soup is a lovely light soup, full of flavour and delicious served with crispy fried tortilla strips. The combination of lime, avocados and tomatoes make this soup very exotic and unique. Tasty and simple to prepare, it is sure to become a favourite on the family menu.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 red Thai chilli, chopped coarsely
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup peanut oil, extra
- 6 corn tortillas cut into 2cm wide strips
- 1 medium avocado, chopped finely
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- ¼ cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped fresh coriander
Blend or process onion, garlic, chilli and tomato until pureed.
Heat oil in large saucepan; cook tomato puree mixture and allspice, stirring for about 5 minutes or until fragrant
Add vegetable stock, water, lime rind, lime juice and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly
Meanwhile, heat extra oil in medium frying pan; cook tortillas in batches until golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
Divide tortilla strips among bowls; ladle soup over.
Top with combined avocado, green onion and coriander