Teriyaki tempeh features grilled skewers of tempeh marinated with spices, grilled and served with a lemon-garlic sauce. Delicious and wholesome, this vegan treat is made from fermented soybeans and is packed with readily available nutrition.
- 300g tempeh, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- ½ tsp red chillies
- 3 shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 100ml coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pound together all the paste ingredients in a mortar and pestle to form a cohesive paste.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok on medium heat, add spice paste and cook until fragrant (about 3-5 minutes). Add the marinade and stir to combine. Add tempeh cubes and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Prepare the lemon-garlic sauce by mixing or blending the lemon juice, garlic and honey.
- Thread tempeh onto bamboo skewers and grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm on rice with a splash of lemon-garlic sauce.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training