This tomato chutney is both sweet and spicy. It is wonderful served with samosas, pakoras or as a side dish accompanying any Indian style curry. It has a rich full flavour and adds that finishing touch to a home cooked Indian meal.
Spicy Tomato Chutney
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ½ teaspoon dried chillies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sultanas or raisins (optional)
- Heat the ghee or oil over a medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Fry mustard seeds until they start to pop.
- Add cumin seeds and coriander seeds and fry until they begin to brown.
- Add chillies, asafoetida and turmeric.
- Immediately add the tomatoes and stir through.
- Simmer for approx. 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Add sugar, salt and sultanas or raisins and continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.