So you’re having a special meal on Christmas day? Get inspired by these amazing recipes. There are so many delicious ideas here for entrees, mains, breads and desserts your guests and family can have the best and healthiest meal ever! The savoury muffins that Deborah made for the December cooking class make a great addition to any dinner and especially lend themselves to a festive meal. They are light, tasty and healthy too.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
2 cups of self raising gluten free flour
(I use Orgran brand) or you can use your preferred self raising flour
2 cups of spinach chopped (60g)
250 g corn kernels (2×125 g cans) or fresh steamed corn
1/3 to 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes chopped
1 Tbs of fresh thyme
1 Tbs of fresh oregano
1/2 Tbs dried Italian herbs
1/2 Tbs of garlic seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup buttermilk
100 grams feta cheese
1 cup shredded tasty cheese
1/3 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven 180 degrees fan forced.
2. Grease the muffins tray with butter or oil spray.
3. In a large bowl add chopped spinach, corn, sundried tomatoes, oil, all the herbs and seasoning and mix well.
4. Then add flour and buttermilk, mix lightly until just combined (do not over mix). Fold thru the cheeses, place mixture in muffins tray and sprinkle with dry mixed herbs.
5. Bake muffins for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Variations and notes:
Instead of corn you can use peas
Instead of spinach you can use Kale
Or 1 cup of grated carrots and 1/2 cup grated zucchini to alternate veggies.
Use only canola or sunflower oil for this recipe. Other oils will not work.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training