Just about everyone loves Mexican food right? From the humble taco to the yummiest jam packed burrito to the cheesy quesadilla.. We made these walnut “meat” burritos at our last cooking class and they were a hit. Healthier than your typical meaty variety with great taste and texture and our guests said they were even more delicious. So easy to make, and with the added bonus of walnuts being a super brain food, who could say no to this. Try it for yourself!
Lentil Walnut Meat
1 cup walnuts
1 cup brown lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp oregano
Vegan Sour Cream
1 cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes (or overnight)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 clove of garlic
Ingredients for Burrito
1 cup kidney beans
1 cup corn
2 cups chopped lettuce
8 Burrito Wraps
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pan, roast the walnuts without oil for about 2 minutes or until they’re lightly golden.
- Put the walnuts and the cooked lentils in a food processor and process until chopped. Make sure to leave some texture!
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sautée the onions for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the lentil walnut mixture and stir in the tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and the spices (paprika powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper).
- Sour Cream Drain the cashews and put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the Burrito with the lentil walnut meat, tomato, avocado, kidney beans, corn, and lettuce and top with sour cream.