Not only is it important to be calm when we are eating so we can digest well, but we can also eat foods that help to keep us calm. This salad is packed with vitamins and minerals that help to lift our mood, calm us down and promote feelings of well being. Starring asparagus, walnuts, avocado and spinach – foods that are rich in folic acid, B vitamins, magnesium and omega 3’s. Here’s why these are great mood busters:
- Depression has been linked to low levels of folic acid – bring on the asparagus!
- Feelings of anxiety may be linked to a B vitamin deficiency – three cheers for avocados!
- Magnesium regulates cortisol levels and promotes feelings of wellbeing – spinach is your friend
- Omega 3’s can alleviate feelings of depression and anxiety – munch away on those walnuts.
This salad is truly food for peace of mind! It makes a nice big bowl of salad each for 2 people or side dish for 4.
- 60g baby spinach
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 finely chopped fresh spring onions
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Trim and cut asparagus length ways and lightly steam
- When cool add to other ingredients and when ready to serve add the dressing.
By Vrndavan Dasi
Founder and Principal of Veda Yoga Teacher Training