This gluten free vegan slice was the bomb at our last Kirtan Retreat. People are still talking about it. We served the left over tray out for breakfast the next morning. It didn’t even hit the table before it was snapped up. I found the Coles gluten free flour worked best in this recipe and don’t make the mix too runny. It needs to be a cake type consistency or it will tend to go a bit rubbery. It is best served warm with coconut cream drizzled on top.
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour mix
- ¼ cup polenta
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup vegan melted margarine
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup almond/soy milk
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 – 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar (if your banana is very ripe, you can most likely go with the lower amount)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp cinnamon or more depending on taste
- 3 tbsp vegan margarine
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease baking pan or cake tin with vegan margarine.
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Add liquid ingredients, including banana.
Finally, add blueberries. Mix just enough so that all ingredients are incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
Sprinkle topping over batter.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool a few minutes. Cut into squares.