Drinking from Copper Vessels

Copper is one of the oldest metals known to human civilisation and has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. Copper has cultural, religious, medical and astrological values. Ayurveda, the most ancient medicinal science, states that copper is the Kapha energy balancing metal and using copper as an ornament, mixed with medicines or eating food/drinking water in copper vessels is good for balance.

Recent scientific research shows that copper has  anti-microbial properties.  When groundwater with a slightly alkaline pH and  contaminated with 500 colony forming units (CFU)/mL of bacteria was  stored in copper pots for 16 hours at room temperature, all  bacteria were killed. It is reported to destroy diarrhea-causing bacteria, such as Vibrio cholera, enteropathogenic E. coli, Salmonella. It is also effective against many other disease-causing bacteria such as S. flex Neri and Salmonella Paratyphi

Keeping water in a copper vessel and drinking water from copper cups is an old Indian tradition. It is believed the water stored in copper vessels can provide many health benefits, such as reducing the ageing process by stimulating collagen proteins, providing essential minerals for our body as well as correcting iron deficiency.