Benefits: Strengthens legs, increases focus, calms the nervous system.
Cautions: Weak ankles, sciatica, knee or hip pain.
|Fig. 1||Fig. 2||Fig. 3|
- Stand in Mountain Pose, finding equal weight through the feet.
- Find a point of focus about a metre in front on you on the floor.
- Bend your right knee up in front of you and reach down to take hold of your ankle. (fig 1)
- Swivel in the hip joint to bring the knee out to the right side of the body and place your foot on the inside of the left thigh.
- Bring your hands together in prayer position in front of the heart. (fig 2)
- If you have your balance you can raise your arms skyward. (fig 3)
- Hold here for 5 breaths.
- Slowly release your foot to the floor with control.
- Find your centre again, and change sides.
- If you are unsteady – try placing a hand on a wall for more support.
- The foot can be brought to the ankle or calf instead of the thigh.
- If your shoulders are tight keep your raised arms and hands shoulder width apart.
- Once you are steady – try moving your gaze straight ahead, or for a real challenge close your eyes!