Benefits: Stretches hips and shoulders, opens chest, relieves minor back pain, stimulates abdominal organs.
Cautions: Pregnancy, serious back conditions.
|Fig. 1||Fig. 2||Fig. 3|
- With your right knee on the floor lunge your left foot forward between your hands. As you exhale sink your hips towards the floor..
- Place your left hand on your left hip and move your right hand close to the left foot.
- Lengthen the spine as you inhale, exhale and rotate to the left (fig,.1)
- If you are able to rotate a little more you can then raise your left hand to the ceiling. The right arm can also be placed to the outside of the left leg with the hand on a block or the floor (fig. 2)
- As you hold the pose breath normally and focus on lengthening the spine on the inhale and twisting on the exhale.
- Hold for 5 – 10 breaths and repeat to the other side.
- If your back is rounding place your lower hand on a block.
- Wind the top arm around your back and thread you lower arm under your leg and clasp both hands together. (fig. 3)
- For more hip stretch curl your toes under and straighten your back leg.