Benefits: Stretches the outer hips, strengthens legs, increases focus and calms the nervous system.
Cautions: Hip replacements.
|Fig. 1||Fig. 2|
- Stand in mountain pose, finding equal weight thru the feet.
- Find a point of focus about 5 feet in front on you on floor.
- Place the right foot over the left and rest it on the floor so the toes are pointing towards the left foot. _(fig 1) _
- Bend the left knee slightly feeling the stretch through the left hip.
- Bring hands out to the right side like you are playing a flute. (fig 2)
- Hold here for 5 breaths.
- Slowly release foot to floor with control.
- Find your centre again, and change sides.
- If you feel uncoordinated – try keeping hands on waist and just focus on the legs.
- Once you are steady – try raising the left toes off the floor slightly. This will help strengthen the legs and hips.