Benefits: Increases flexibility in the legs, hips and spine. Increases mobility through the lower spine.
Cautions: Knees and lower back, neck problems
|Fig. 1||Fig. 2||Fig. 3|
- Step the legs wide just over a metre apart and raise the arms to shoulder height.
- In one movement turn on the heels so your right foot is facing forward and the left toes are on a slight angle.
- Inhale as you extend through both sides of your torso. As you exhale swing your hips to the left and extend out to the right. (fig 1)
- Lower right arm to your right leg (where ever is comfortable) and lift your left arm straight up. As you inhale turn your heart towards the ceiling, as you exhale release down towards the floor. (fig 2)
- Turn to look towards the top hand.
- Hold for five breaths.
- Breathe in and come back to standing, on the exhale pivot on your heels to the other side and repeat.
- If the knee is pulling, try keeping the front knee bent slightly.
- If you feel weak in the trunk area, keep your hands on your waist and don’t lean over so far.
- To further enhance the stretch in your torso, from step 4 extend the top arm parallel to the floor along side the ear, reaching through the fingers (fig 3).
- If you have the flexibility, with the bottom hand take hold of the big toe or place hand on the floor.
- To focus on strengthening the torso don’t place any support into the bottom hand, direct your stability solely up the legs into your hips.