Strengthens the abdominals, back and thighs
- Strengthens the back, abdominals and quadriceps
- Improves concentration
- Aids digestion
Sit with your feet flat on the floor in front of you with your knees bent into your chest. Inhale; draw your navel in towards your spine and work your low back forwards. Hold your outer ankles with a firm grip. Lengthen your spine as you lift your toes slightly off the mat to come and balance on your sitting bones.
Exhale; relax your shoulders down and back. Your spine is lengthening, crown of the head is lifting; your core stays strong at all times.
Inhale; straighten your legs out in front of your body, aiming to create a ‘V’ shape.
Hold for 5-10 breaths. Repeat up to 3 times.
To come out of the pose: inhale, keep your chest lifted; bend your knees to slowly come back down to sitting with the soles of your feet on the floor.
Modifications & Variations
For an easier version try any of these options:
- Bend your knees and place your hands behind them
- Bend your knees; hands are alongside your knees
- Place your feet against a wall to help you balance
- Place your shoulders against a wall for balance