This exotic, tasty salad is very popular not only in Vietnam, but in many other Asian countries. It is full of cooling ingredients including green papaya, snow peas, radish, mint and coriander and is an excellent accompaniment to spicy dishes. It also makes a delicious, light and refreshing summer lunch or light dinner.
- 200g dried rice vermicelli
- 1 green paw paw, shredded
- 1/2 cup snow peas, cut into strips
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 large daikon radish, grated
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup Vietnamese mint (common mint can be substituted)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or sesame oil)
- Juice of 2 limes (lemons can be substituted)
- Roasted cashes for garnish
Place the rice vermicelli in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes or until soft, then drain, rinse under cold water and cut into short lengths.
Place all ingredients including vermicelli into a large bowl and mix well.
Garnish with Cashews.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.