We all love the creamy taste of pumpkins especially in soup form, but did you know that pumpkins are extremely low in calories, making them the perfect vegetable for weight watchers. Not only are they low calorie, but pumpkins are very rich in potassium, magnesium and iron. When you are choosing a pumpkin look for a bright orange one as it will be loaded with beta-carotene which is an important antioxidant. So there you go, you can now have a second helping of this delicious velvety pumpkin soup without the guilt.
- 1kg pumpkin (good orange colour)
- 3 cups of instant stock made with 2 Massell ‘chicken style’ cubes
- 3 cups of milk – either dairy or soy.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons ginger juice
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 1 cup warm cooked rice – brown or basmati.
Remove seeds, peel, and chop pumpkin flesh into cubes.
Place into a soup pot with stock, milk, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes until pumpkin is soft and tender.
Cool and then puree in a processor or blender.
Return to the pot adding the honey, ginger juice, and mix through.
Pour piping hot soup into individual serving bowls, add generous spoonful of rice to the centre, dust with cinnamon