This is a wonderful substitute for meat loaf. It is a very satisfying meal packed with protein and other nutritious goodies. Tofu, tahini and sunflower seeds are all high in protein, and tahini is a good source of calcium. Savoury yeast is a great source of B vitamins and parsley has a high vitamin C content. So you’ll be doing your family’s health a favour when you serve them this delicious high protein tofu loaf.
- 500g block tofu mashed
- ½ cup whole meal flour
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup shallots or onion
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional or savoury yeast (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together.
Lightly brush a loaf tin with olive oil.
Press the tofu mixture into the loaf tin.
Bake in moderate oven for approximately 1 hour.
Let the loaf cool slightly before removing from the tin, about 10 minutes.
Note: Savoury or nutritional yeast is available from most health food stores