A full-flavoured rice dish that is delicious served as an accompaniment to Indian curry or dhal. It is also nice served with salad and crusty bread for a light lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 1 medium brown onion chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 curry leaves, torn
- 1 red Thai chilli, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup saltanas or raisins
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed & drained
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ cup shelled pistachios (you can substitute with slivered almonds or cashews).
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Heat ghee in medium saucepan and fry cardamom seeds, stirring until they begin to pop.
Add onion and cook, stirring until soft.
Add garlic, ginger, curry leaves and chilli. Cook, stirring until fragrant.
Add rice, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add stock, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover with a tight lid and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat, fluff with fork and stir in nuts, sultanas & mint.
Let stand covered for 5 minutes before serving.